WHAT WAS YOUR 1st INTRODUCTION TO THE BREED & HOW DID YOU GET INVOLVED INITIALLY?

Early 2000, one of the guys I worked with brought in dog.  I ended up watching the dog for a while and wanted one of my own.  My first dog was bought as a pet, I didn’t initially have any intentions to breed.  I had someone ask me how much I charged for for a Stud. I had no idea people paid to use a dog.  This was the 1st time I realized there was a business side to this as well.  I had bought the dog from Mugleston’s in Texas. (Mugleston’s was known around this time to produce some of the thickest XL’s in the country.)  A friend asked to breed and said I could keep a puppy.  So I kept a female. Around a year later they locked up without my knowledge and she became pregnant.  This first litter produced a fawn that I kept named Simba.

WHAT MADE YOU DECIDE TO ATTEND YOUR FIRST SHOW?


I saw a dog show article in a pet store advertising a local show. So I attended my first show which was I believe the first ABKC Nationals, held at a flea market. At this show I met the owner of Makaveli Pits and Dave Wilson (Founder of the ABKC) and started making friends in the community.  People wanted to pay money for my puppies, so I had a few more breedings. Around this time I saw opportunity and began to have a goal, a vision for what I thought was my ideal dog.

WHAT WAS YOUR VISION OR MAIN GOAL?



Around this time you would hear a lot of people say things like “if the dog had 5 or 10 more lbs it would be a bully” I saw a lot of fat dogs with big heads.  I had a vision for a different build. I wanted to add bone, muscle, head.  I had it set in my mind. Simba (my 1st production was an XL with a 27” head and 22” tall. Back then this was huge.  I wanted that head, but on a 17 or 18” frame (Standard Class) I wanted to to keep the head, shorten the dog, add bone, mass and produce something more compact.  People would tell me “that’s impossible” which is the worst thing you can say to me, because then I have to prove that it can be done.

HOW DID YOU PROGRESS?


Trial and error.  Followed by more trial and error.  I noticed that females were key. From what I watched and studied, I found that females were more likely to pass on traits than the males.  I also learned from my initial experience that there was no consistency.  What I mean is that from a breeding there would be one or two with the traits I wanted but the others would be much more terrier looking.  I started over, this time with a different plan of action. I decided to bring in different females, I bought the shortest, bulliest females I could find and spent good money investing into my vision.  I bred these bitches to only the best males out, keeping only the pick of the litter.

WHAT BLOODLINES DID YOU USE? DID YOU LINE BREED OR INBREED?

Initially I didn’t line breed or inbreed.  I brought in several different bloodlines that had the feautures I wanted to reproduce.  I brought in Kurupt, Roc N Ruby, Gaff even some Watchdog, but only the bulliest examples from the different bloodlines.  I starts to see huge heads, but one thing I noticed around this time is that the dogs had no necks! You’d see these massive heads just sitting on the dog’s shoulders.

STUDYING GENETICS


I started studying genetics, not online articles that anyone can write.. but medical journals. I noticed that there weren’t many studies on canine breeding compared to horses.  Horses were big money, and because there was big money in horses, people paid for high dollar studies and doctors to research and test breeding methods and genetics. I wanted proven studies with verifiable results, not an opinion.  I learned a lot from these.  Having said all of that, nothing beats personal experience and trial and error.

IN SEARCH OF A NECK


I was after a better neck to go with the larger heads on my dogs.. around this time Denzel was the ideal bully.  I had Males with 24-27” heads that were 18” tall and females with 23-25” heads that were a little shorter than the males. But they were never consistent in the rears. Denzel did a great job of fixing rears, and shortening backs. Around this time  I met Pat from Grand Raw Kennels. He had the bodies I wanted.  Pat’s bitches were out producing what mine were with Denzel.  We partnered together and produced Stella.  Midwest Monster’s blood really clicked with Denzel.

MAKING PROGRESS


Stella had everything I wanted, a fat rear, small waste.. the total package minus the head.  But heads were one thing I had on lock so I knew I was getting closer to my ideal dog.  But 

I was still missing something, I needed a bigger, bullier neck.  I started to look at Dax.  Everyone tried talking me out of it, but I knew it was worth a shot. Again, I knew exactly what I wanted.

DAXLINE


I decided to breed with Dax and the result was everything  I wanted. (The result of this breeding was the World Famous Champion Magoo, once rumored to be the highest selling dog ever-we’ll clear that up in this article, but here’s a hint.. it wasn’t Magoo)  One thing that I didn’t expect was that Magoo would be so consistent, he threw his traits and stamped his look on every production.  Around this time, having close to the look I wanted, I started line breeding.



THERE ARE A NUMBER OF RUMORS AS TO THE ACTUAL SALE PRICE OF MAGOO, WE’VE HEARD ANYWHERE FROM $500,000 TO OVER A MILLION. CAN YOU CLARIFY THAT FOR US?

Magoo sold for $750,000 and is now part of Dreamchaser Bullies in China owned by Nan Bai

WAS THIS THE FIRST DOG YOU HAD SOLD AT A HIGH PRICE?

No, I had sold about 10 of my productions for over $50,000, a dog named Yoshi for $65,000 and a dog named Toshi for $125,000

DID CASABLANCA SELL FOR MORE THAN MAGOO?


Casablanca was sold for ...... as a Co-Own to partners in Taiwan


For the Full Article Inside Issue No. 8 & For Full Access to BULLY KING Magazine Subscribe Today & Get 6 Issues Delivered 

Or For Digital Issues Download the BULLY KING App (Available in the iTunes App Store & Google Play Store) 


You won't want to miss out on Full Articles, Tips, Advice from the Best in the Business, Bully Rankings & more!




Share To:

BULLY KING Magazine

BULLY KING Magazine | The Bully Breed Source

News, Articles & Features on the Best American Bullies
  - Bully Rankings, Best Males, Top Females
  - Top Breeders
  - Tips to pack on muscle
  - Show Champions, Grand Champions and much more!

Pick up a single Issue for $9.99 | Or save with our Yearly Subscription for only $54.99
or 
Android Users Download the BULLY KING App in Google Play

For advertising/Features of your dogs/kennel/business 

Get your dog/kennel/Stud/breeding or product in front of 200,000 people guaranteed! 

Post A Comment: